
Some pictures from the Dental Clinic......to set the scene for you, there is no air conditioning. Everyday we traveled with a convoy of vehicles (you'll see a picture of that later). Those suitcases some of you donated? Everyday they were unloaded for the clinic, reloaded at the end of the day, restocked, and reloaded back onto the truck the next day for the next clinic. It is amazing how much we were able to travel with though. I think they saw around 200-300 patients a day, and to my knowledge, there were plenty of shots to numb people and lots of instruments (although for you dental people, they were limited to one handpiece because the other broke right off the bat...I think these are used for fillings?). Anyway, they did a little bit of restorative dentistry (fillings), but mostly extractions (pulling teeth) and some hygiene (cleaning teeth). There were 2-3 people on the trip who sterilized instruments all day. It was quite the production!
The first picture is Jody watching another dentist. The little boy in the left hand corner is Dr. Kennedy's son Bleau (Dr Kennedy is the one who invited us to go). I don't think Bleau did anything other than maybe hand the dentist a piece of gauze if they needed it. Bay did some of this too. He did something else too (think BIG, like so BIG I've never even done it), but I'm not going to blog about it. You'll have to ask Bay about it!
The second picture was taken inside the church. The dental instruments were set up on the stage. Next, a picture of Jody working with a patient. These lawn chairs made fabulous dental chairs and folded up great for travel. If you are really attentive in the next picture, you'll notice all of the people looking in the window.....this happened in every city. I think part of it was fear, and part of it just curiosity.



No comments:
Post a Comment