Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dominican Day 5 (continued)

A few more pics from Day 5. These first three pictures tell a precious story. Before our trip, my dad (Papaw) bought Bay a glove to take with him. It was for him to use in the baseball clinic, etc. and dad told him that he could give it away to one special child before coming home. On day 4, I asked Bay if he wanted to go ahead and pick a child to give it to. He said no. He wanted to hang onto it one more day. So day 5 (as hot and tiring as it was) is over and we are packing the truck and loading everything up. Bay passes by me and says "I need my glove. I know who I want to give it too." Me being the mom that I am, I just wanted to see who he chose, to make sure he made a good choice, and also to make sure that he was giving it away appropriately (the kids there don't have much. anytime we gave things away, it almost became a mob....they would swarm you and beg for more). So anyway, I go outside and an older kid who was also with us on the trip points to a group of 3 boys and says "he's over there." I look and ask if it's the one who's closest to us and he says no....the one in the middle. At that moment, this little boy in the middle steps out from behind the other and the teenager with us says "he's cripple." I'm crying even as I write this. I cried then. For like 30 minutes after. I could not stop crying. To say that Bay made a good choice is putting it lightly. I don't think I've ever been more proud of Bay and I don't know that he could ever do more. This kid he chose is 11 years old. He was probably about the size of Asher. His little legs turned inward making it hard for him to walk and it looked like he hung out with two other boys who probably helped to look after him. He never smiled. Even when Bay handed him the glove. But he never put it down either. He let the other boys look at it. But he held that glove close to his chest and just clung to it. Tears! Tears! Tears!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a precious moment. I made sure to get someone who spoke Spanish to tell the other boys that it was his glove, not to take it! I don't know if this child had a glove, but he had a ball. I don't know that anyone had ever given him a glove because of his disability. Obviously he will never play major league ball. I don't know that the culture there would include him in games or play. Oh, but he has a glove now. He can walk around in the street, or behind the houses and pretend that he is the greatest MLB player ever. Bay made the best choice! I am so proud! And I know his Papaw is proud too!!



No comments:

Post a Comment