Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dominican Mission- Day 5

Our last day of mission work happened in a town called Boca de Nigua. Remember in a previous post where I mentioned having no expectations? Well, this is not the place where we were scheduled to go. As we were on our way, Gary (the missionary) called someone in the city where we were to be and they had forgotten that this was the day we would be there! It happens! Instead, Gary took us to this little place where we set up clinic in a church that was above the local surgeon's office. They were not expecting us, but word on the street traveled fast, and we had just as many children and patients as we had in the other cities. I guess God saw that we needed to be there instead! This was the hottest day of all and there was more sweat and hard work than any other day I think. The children here were so sweet. Not as outgoing as the first day, but very excited that we were there.

A few pictures from this place.......Chera-lyn and I in the only picture I have of us from the trip. The second picture is of a sweet child. I had the privilege of painting this sweet face! The next one is a picture of some of the many handprints the kids did in VBS.

As is common in the Dominican, if you have any money (remember there are just "have" and "have nots"- there is no middle class) then you have a Haitian maid. Gary and Cindy have several people who work in and around the mission house. Cindy had a new maid who helped her with all of the cooking and cleaning while we were there, and on this last day, she made the trip with us to fix lunch for the day. I'm not sure if anyone else really noticed, but I was in awe of this woman.....I made sure to squeeze her arm and say "Gracias" (thank you) when I went through the line at lunch. She stood out in that hot sun all morning over this pile of sticks making the rice and beans for the day. It was hot. So hot. And she was standing over that fire, walking back and forth to get clean water from the truck to make everything. I didn't want her to think that her efforts went unnoticed....I think she was the real servant of the day, quietly doing her job in the hot sun. I made sure to snap a picture of the food in the process of cooking. It was literally just set up in the back yard of the church! It's funny, but I didn't get a picture of her, nor did I catch her name. She never really spoke to any of us.

Lastly, Bay handing out stickers to the kids after they finished coloring sheets!



No comments:

Post a Comment