Sunday, June 26, 2011

Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck......

I'm late posting about stuff. Summer is just too hard to find the time to sit and do this. I'll do my best to play catch up, and you'll have to be patient with me until school starts back! Most of you know about our duck incident earlier this summer. A momma duck chose our pool area as a safe spot for her eggs. Specifically, a small patch of monkey grass in our landscape. We found the eggs one day when Sadie stuck her big ole nose in the grass and out jumped the momma duck straight into the pool. We couldn't believe it! Jody looked up mallard's and their patterns when laying eggs and such, and we decided to just leave the eggs alone so as not to harm the babies. We read that if you put floats/beach balls in the pool, the ducks will stay out, so we left stuff floating in there for a few days........until one morning I look out the window and momma and 9 little ducklings were swimming around the floats! Gah! As I watched and took pictures I could feel myself stressing out. Why in the world would she lay these eggs right next to our pool when we have 3 loud kids and 2 big dogs?! I couldn't understand why she would do something so stupid. There was no way she could get them out of our yard without something happening to them. As I pondered this, I could hear God saying..."Lexie, you have done some stupid stuff too. I carried you out, and I will provide a way for the ducks to get out too." It was quite a teaching moment. Nonetheless, it also occurred to me that the momma was swimming frantically because, now that the ducklings were in the pool, she couldn't figure out how to get them out! It's a long story. So, to make it short, my dad came to the rescue (as he always does) and we fished them out one by one. Momma duck freaked out half way through the process and left some of the babies :( I think at least half of them went with her! We did our best and, looking back, I know exactly why God told her to lay those eggs where she did...........a gentle reminder of whose in control of our lives! Here's a few pics of the babies...



No comments:

Post a Comment